Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Crochet Fringe Purse


I have been wanting a crochet fringe purse since I saw the Chanel bag this past summer......it also reminds me of the crochet bags I had as a kid in the 70's that I loved.


but as I do not want to spend $3000.00 for a freakin bag I came up with my own.


This crochet dress was at my church thrift store that I haunt for $2.99 & I thought it would make a great purse for my trip to the beach.


I had this old purse that I kept for the chain knowing one day I would re-use it.  I got my husband to remove the chain complete with hooks.


I snipped the threads that held together the Gypsy bodice & removed.


I used the zig zag stitch for the bottom of the inner bag for strength.


Hand sew the chain & link to bag.


I then decided to add a rhinestone zipper that I already had & did that by hand as the crochet is quite thick.  The zipper cost more than the dress that I got last year for $4.99.


I am trying out my new bag today to see if my stitching holds out on my $8.00 crochet fringe purse.


linking up to my Fave Parties......
Sew you later!

17 comments:

Maggie Lamarre said...

wow what a fabulous purse for the holidays.
I would luv to invite you to share your talent with us at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-2011-planner-tutorial-with.html
Our readers will enjoy discovering your blog.
Happy Crafting,
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Jessica @ Sunny Tuesday said...

I love how you repurposed a dress for your bag! I never would've thought of that!

Jan said...

Super fantastic job. Way to go! You are going to rock that beach.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

So stinkin' cute and clever! The fringes give such texture and movement...like a great haircut. Well done!

Gorgeous Glam said...

Soooo cool! You did an amazing job, I love the extra touch you added with the zipper! xo

Marjory Skousen said...

Your purse is FAR BETTER than the Chanel one. Love how you took it from that dress. You Rock!

Marjory Skousen said...

Denise, I wanted to share your post on your pom pom coat, or cover? you made. The white one. When I went to that page all the pics have been removed. That was the post that made me fall in love with your blog. What happened? I'd love to show it on my blog.

Betty B. said...

Wow - you made a great job - I'm really impressed by your creativity!

Unknown said...

It's neat! I'm short though, so fringe that long would be dragging on the floor, haha.

Cookie said...

OMg You took my breathe! that bag is so amazing!
Btw. Im inviting you to my International giveaway where price is bag full of gifts! You can join it here:
http://cookieswardrobe.blogspot.com/2011/11/second-international-giveaway.html

Unknown said...

Denise,
You never seem to amazed me. WOW this is such an awesome fringe purse!!! Fabulous really! You're so super talented. Thx for sharing and now I'm currently totally jealous..

<3 Marina
Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

Sewingadicta said...

Yay! That bag has a lot of swing when you walk with it on your shoulder! Love it! So clever, your idea!

pretty affairs said...

the bag looks pretty amazing! well done!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

I love what you did!!! It looks amazing. I have to say the dress looked pretty fab too :) xoxo

Sick by Trend said...

wow!! awesome :D

xx

www.sickbytrend.com

WobiSobi said...

So creative!! Love it!!

Hanni said...

I love this purse. It is so unique. Love it!